The NORDICPEDMED is a continuous development project. Partly completed during the years 2014-2016, but continuing during the 2017 for the development of a joint Nordic Investigators Registry.
NordicPedMed (NORDIC investigators network for PEDiatric MEDicines) was funded by Nordforsk / Nordic Trial Alliance (NTA) as a 1-year project which ended in June 2015. This initial project received additional funding for NORDICPEDMED-Stage 2 project (Establishing governance and developing implementation plan for joint operations of the Nordic national paediatric clinical trial networks) in 2016 from Nordforsk / Nordic Trial Alliance (NTA).
Nordic network collaboration can increase pediatric research opportunities by:
- Increasing competitiveness of Nordic Area and Developing stronger position within the European Network of Paediatric Research at European Medicines Agency (Enpr-EMA)
- Raising the recruitment potential by larger child population (5.2 million < 18 yrs. old)
- Fostering high-quality, ethical research, to find out safety and efficacy of pediatric medicines
- Enhancing collaboration between the networks and various stakeholders
- Avoiding unnecessary trials in children
- Creating scientific and administrative competence at a Nordic level
Most importantly, the Nordic network provides benefits to sick children by offering opportunities for early access to new promising medicines in a safe and controlled way in clinical trials.
NORDICPEDMED Investigators include doctors treating pediatric patients as well as other experts representing other branches of science, being members of the national networks of the NordicPedMed. The NORDICPEDMED network gives investigators and experts a chance to participate in and influence the development of children's medicine development and medicinal treatments by giving them opportunities to take part to medicinal product development processes and conduct new pediatric clinical trials.
During the development period (2016-2017), only limited number of NordicPedMed investigators are included to the joint Investigators Registry. When completed, from this registry, National Networks of the NORDICPEDMED are able to look for experts and investigators nationwide for incoming Service Requests from Sponsors and other research groups.